Saturday, January 9, 2010

Time to Hit Restart Again


It has been a very long time since I made a New Year's resolution. I think it was the late 70's and I was at the US Naval Academy at the time. Something about keeping my weight down so that I would not have to go through the agony of making weight for next year's boxing season. I was a Brigade boxer at the time and in case you can't tell, I am the guy on the right. Going from about 180 in the off season to 139 to make weight in the fall was not something I looked forward to. I usually had to accomplish the loss in less than a month. You can check out my LinkedIn page to see how well I have kept that resolution (not!). In any case, I am going to make a couple of resolutions this year.

First, I am going to focus on my web presence. I will not let my web pages go out of date and I refuse to have a multitude of broken hyperlinks. I know that it is going to take some time to repair it and a lot more time to keep up with it. After a week of waiting for vendors and taking care of customers, for instance, I have ALMOST gotten our Current Specials pages updated. Add to that the changes our vendors make to their pages without our knowledge and we have a recipe for trouble. Nevertheless, that is what resolutions are about, isn't it - addressing and readdressing challenges that we have failed to meet in the past. My waistline is proof.

Second, I am going to change the way I look at this blog-thing. Granted, I did not really understand what it was all about when I started. A quick look at previous posts shows that I approached these entries as sales presentations rather than a means for you to get to know me. I might have come close on a couple of them...I really do hate cheap ink pens, for instance. Overall, though, I focused on product rather than relationship. I will go for relationship this year.

So, then, what does this mean? Hopefully, more work for me and a better experience for you. If you are better informed about our pricing, can get where you want to go on our web site, and if I can better relate my 13-plus years of experience with these products here, then all will be well. If not, then I will have another resolution for next year.

Hoping you have a very prosperous and happy new year.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment